top of page
Student-Athletes Abroad is committed to transparent and open communication with students, parent, educators, and administrators. For your convenience, the entire agreement is below. It is the responsibility of each individual participant to read this before submitting an electronic signature on Smartwaiver. To request a PDF version of the Program Participant Agreement please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: December 19, 2016
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Student/Participant ("Participant") eligibility for acceptance to and participation in a Beyond Sports, LLC Student-Athletes Abroad ("SAA") program is determined by a variety of factors. SAA reserves the right to consider a Participant’s administrative and academic standing at their home institution in admission decisions. Some programs offered by SAA may allow Participants who do not meet one or more of the eligibility requirements to be accepted on a conditional basis. It is the Participant’s responsibility to prove that they have satisfied all of the eligibility requirements for their program prior to departure. If the conditions are not met, SAA reserves the right to withdraw the Participant’s acceptance. Additional documentation may be required after initial or conditional acceptance.
SAA reserves the right to offer promotional or exclusive program pricing and/or discounts for a limited time. Only those applicants who: 1) submit the required application materials; and 2) meet the stated requirements of the promotion during the specified promotional time-frame will be entitled to the promotion or discount. Participants who complete an application prior to or after the timeframe of the promotion, will not be granted any price adjustment or refund. If SAA is offering more than one promotion at one time, only the greater amount of the two promotions/discounts will apply. Participants participating in exclusively priced programs, such as group or custom arrangements are not eligible for additional discounts of any kind.
All Participants are required to submit additional information as requested by Student-Athletes Abroad (“SAA”) as part of the pre-departure process. This may include both physical documents and online forms. Requirements are based on the Participant’s specific program, and due dates submitting additional information will vary based on the program. Participants will be given access to additional resources and information, specific to their selected program, emailed from a SAA staff member. This information includes, but is not limited to, a list of items, documents and/or payments still needing to be sent or submitted to SAA and associated due dates. If your pre-departure documents are not received on time, you may delay or forfeit your participation due to late submission of documents.
Programs Including Airfare
Any program which includes the cost of airfare, or a portion of the airfare, in the program fee requires that Participant submits the Additional Information Form. If the Additional Information Form is not submitted by Participant on time, Participant will be responsible for any additional costs or fees when SAA purchases airfare on behalf of Participant.
To participate, each Participant or applicant is required to pay the following in accordance with the terms herein:
1) A Program Deposit, subject to the terms set forth herein; and
2) The Program Cost specified and paid in accordance with the terms set forth herein.
Participants participating in a group or custom program with faculty or staff member from their home institution may be subject to different application and payment dates. Please contact your group leader for details.
All Participants are required to pay a program deposit. This deposit is non-refundable, except as otherwise set forth herein. This deposit is deducted from the total cost of the program. Your place in the program will not be held until your non-refundable program deposit is paid. If your program reaches enrolled capacity before you have paid your non-refundable program deposit you may be required to forfeit your original program selection or choose another program.
Program Deposit Payments
1) Semester, Trimester, and Year-Long Programs: A non-refundable deposit of $1,500 is due by the deposit payment deadline.
2) Summer Program and Summer Internship (total program cost less than $5,000): A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 is due by the deposit payment deadline.
Program Price/Final Payment
SAA reserves the right to change program prices. For current pricing, contact a SAA Program Representative and request the appropriate Invitation/Program Guide. Participants will be subject to the price listed in the Program Guide they receive. You must abide by all SAA application and confirmation policies/deadlines to maintain the program price listed in your Program Guide. Participants who miss a SAA deadline may be subject to a higher price. Participants who request to change their program are subject to the prices listed in the new Program Guide they receive at the time the Participant’s program change request is approved. All applicants will be sent an Applicant Invoice with a Final Payment due date. This statement will detail the program price, insurance and any other costs (minus the program confirmation). Final Payment due dates will be set no later than the program’s Withdrawal Date. Participants must be paid in full and/or submit the required Financial Aid Forms (Financial Aid Disbursement Form and Applicant Financial Aid Agreement) to SAA by their Final Payment due date. If a Participant fails to make payment and/or submit the required Financial Aid forms by their Final Payment due date, they will be subject to a $300 Late Fee and may be withdrawn from their program.
The following SAA refund policy applies to all requests for refund, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. Any refund requests must be made in writing and sent to email@example.com. Any costs incurred by SAA on behalf of the Participant will not be refunded.
1) If you withdraw before the deposit due date, you are eligible for a full refund of any payments less any costs incurred by SAA on behalf of the Participant.
2) If you withdraw after the deposit due date but before the final payment due date, you will be eligible for a refund of any payments less $1000 and any costs incurred by SAA on behalf of the Participant.
3) If you withdraw after the final payment due date but not within 14 days of the program start date, you will be eligible for a refund of any payments less $2000 and any costs incurred by SAA on behalf of the Participant.
4) If you withdraw within 14 days of the program start date, regardless of the reason for withdrawal, you are not eligible for any refund from SAA.
5) If you are injured during your program, or withdraw from participation during the program for any reason, you are not eligible for a refund.
SAA reserves the right to cancel or suspend a program as deemed necessary. In such a case, accepted Participants are given the choice of the following:
1) Switching to a future program session.
2) A full refund of all fees and deposits paid.
Changes in Program Structure
SAA makes every effort to ensure that programs operate as described in the published material. However, circumstances occasionally dictate that changes are necessary or advisable that may include but are not limited to staffing, excursions, cultural-immersion activities, service-learning activities, competition, and/or housing options. SAA reserves the right to alter any part of the program as deemed necessary or advisable.
All payments must be submitted to the SAA Headquarters in U.S. currency. SAA will not accept payments of any foreign currency or payments drawn on a foreign financial institution. Payments to SAA can be made via check, credit card, money order, direct deposit or wire transfer. Cash payments will not be accepted. Participants may submit credit card information through a secure online payment form. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Beyond Sports, LLC and mailed to:
500 Yale Ave. N
Seattle, WA 98109
Credit Card Payments
SAA accepts MasterCard, Visa and American Express. A 3.2% Processing Fee will be assessed to all credit card payments. Processing fees will be charged to the credit card being used at the time payment is made. The processing fee can be avoided by paying by standard check, bank transfer, wire, money order or direct deposit.
Health and Safety Measures
SAA shall have the right to take whatever actions it deems necessary in regard to the health and safety of all Participants including, without limitation, obtaining medical treatment on the Participant’s behalf, transporting them out of the country for medical treatment, or any other necessary measures. In the event of a medical emergency, determined at the discretion of SAA staff, SAA reserves the right to contact the Participant’s Emergency Contact, as provided by the Participant, without the Participant’s expressed permission or consent. SAA will only disclose medical information relevant to the Participant’s current medical emergency, and will only disclose the information to the Emergency Contact.
The program cost includes medical insurance coverage for each Participant in the Program. Each participant is covered by a Blanket Short Term Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Policy (the "Policy"). The Policy is provided by BCS Insurance Company, 2 Mid America Plaza, Suite 200, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181. A copy of the Medical Insurance can be accessed at: https://www.hthstudents.com/documents/stud/certificates/2015/grp_13759.pdf. SAA will provide each Participant with a copy of the medical policy upon request. In addition, SAA provides Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation Services administered by Worldwide Insurance Services, LLC for each Participant. SAA strongly advises each Participant to research and consider purchasing additional insurance for any other needs that the Participant might have, and are not included in the medical policy.
For some programs, the program cost includes travel insurance protection for travel delays caused by weather, natural disasters, or trip cancellation (please refer to the “Refund Policy” section for details on refunds due to trip cancellation). SAA is not responsible for any costs incurred by the Participant due to travel delays. The Participant will be able to access the travel insurance purchased on their behalf to claim benefits and reimbursement for expenses incurred during travel delays or trip cancellation. To request a copy of the travel insurance policy SAA purchases, or to find out if a specific program includes travel insurance, contact a Student-Athletes Abroad Coordinator or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CODE OF CONDUCT
SAA has high standards for Participant conduct, and as a participant in a SAA program you are expected to uphold these standards, in addition to respecting and observing the culture and laws of the host country and any institutions that are also involved with any program. All Participants are required to be familiar with, and act and abide by, the policies outlined in this document. Any Participant can be dismissed from the program at any time, without refund, at the discretion of SAA staff for violation of any of the SAA policies and standards outlined below:
1) Participant Responsibilities. In connection with the participation in a SAA Program, each Participant will be responsible for all of the following:
a. You are responsible for researching and understanding issues that relate to the safety, health, political, legal, cultural and religious conditions that exist in your host country and housing.
b. You are responsible for your actions and behavior while participating in a SAA Program, or otherwise while in the host country, or housing.
c. You are responsible for the planning and managing of all personal travel plans and must recognize your personal responsibility in understanding the safety situation in each place you visit and that SAA may not be able to come to your aid should you need support in and outside of your host city or in non-SAA sponsored events or travel.
d. You are responsible for managing and maintaining appropriate relationships with other program Participants, faculty, staff, and local residents.
e. You will take full responsibility for financial obligations associated with the SAA program which you are enrolled, as well as the cost to repair or replace any damage to the property of SAA, or of SAA homestays, lodging accommodations, or partner organizations that you cause.
2) Compliance With the Law Outside the United States. Participants shall comply with all laws of the host country in which the Program operates and any country in which the Participant travels while participating in a SAA Program. Employment during the program is prohibited without proper legal documentation and is highly discouraged even with proper legal documentation. Operation of motor vehicles while participating in the program is highly discouraged. Political activities or use of illegal drugs are prohibited and may subject you to significant civil or criminal penalties. If you engage in political activities or the use of illegal drugs, you do assume any and all risk and responsibility to attend to the matter at your own expense.
3) Loss of Privileges. Your privileges to use SAA facilities, participate in SAA programs or activities, or to use the facilities or participate in the activities of any SAA partners may be revoked at any time at the discretion of SAA staff based on any violation of the standard outlined in “Participant Responsibilities” above.
4) Alcohol, Drug, and Substance Policy. SAA has an alcohol and drug policy that Participants are required to follow at all times. If a student is of legal drinking age in the host country, they are permitted to consume alcohol within reasonable limits. Students who choose to consume alcohol are responsible for their actions at all times. Any abuse of this privilege, at the discretion of SAA staff, will lead to the revocation of this and/or other privileges and could lead to dismissal from the program without refund. SAA prohibits the consumption of alcohol during any SAA events including classroom, training, or service-learning activities. Participants are not allowed to buy, sell, use or possess any substances considered illegal under United States law or the law of the host country. The use of any substances in a manner that violates National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules is strictly prohibited and will result in the immediate dismissal from the program, without refund.
5) Dismissal. Each Participant understands and agrees that any Participant can be dismissed from the SAA Program at any time for violating the guidelines and Code of Conduct outlined in this document.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
Each Participant of a SAA program hereby agrees to release, fully discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless SAA and its owners, employees, representatives and partners from all suits, claims, liability, costs or expenses of any nature, including, but not limited to, attorneys' fees, arising out of or in any way related to events or participation in SAA programs including, without limitation, claims for personal injury or property damage, except for the gross negligence or intentional misconduct of SAA, or its employees.
Each Participant authorizes SAA to discuss this program with their parents/family and with their home institution in the U.S. Each Participant releases all photos taken or received from the Participant’s experience abroad to be used by SAA, and its partners, exclusively for promotional materials.
By signing below, The Participant acknowledges that said he/she has read, understands and agrees to the information presented herein, and any separate documents that are mentioned herein, and hereby agrees to the SAA terms and conditions set forth herein, including without limitation, the Terms and Conditions, Code of Conduct, and Release of Liability.
Program Participation Agreement
bottom of page